26-Crabs - Stuffed Blue Crab Stuffed Blue Crab - a local specialty
3 Cannon fire demonstration on the square
4 Tulips on Gloucester St
5Tulips on Gloucester St
6 Tulips on Gloucester St
8 Chocolate Making - the hard way
9 Chocolate Making - the hard way
10Governors Palace At the end of the Palace Green On December 22, 1781, a fire that may have begun in the basement destroyed the building. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation purchased the property in 1928. Archaeological investigation began at 8 a.m., June 30, 1930. In 1981, the detailed 1770 estate inventory of Governor Botetourt's furnishings enabled curators to replicate the interior decor of the 18th-century with precision The entrance gate pillars have the lion of England and the unicorn of Scotland carved in imported Portland stone.
11Entry of Governors Palace The palace was funded by the House of Burgesses in 1706 at the behest of Lt. Governor Edward Nott. It was built from 1706 onward. In 1710, its first official resident was Lt. Governor Alexander Spotswood who served as acting governor
12Entry of Governors Palace This is a highly accurate replication of the arms arrangement in the front hall.
13Entry of Governors Palace The Governor's House, because of its representation of the king, became a repository of arms. In the great hall there were many rows of guns arranged in racks along the dark paneled walls. These firearms were the symbol of protection. They served the bodyguard of the colonial Governor and they were usually the latest models of small weapons used in warfare with Indian or other invader.
14Stairs of Governors Palace
15Lady's Governor Room Lady Dunmore’s dressing room
16Children's Room sleeping space for the Dunmore children
20Formal Room Under Lt. Gov. Robert Dinwiddie, from 1751 to 52, the residence was repaired and renovated, including the addition of a large rear addition featuring a ballroom. These are portraits of Queen Charlotte and George III .
21Formal Room Ballroom with Dutch Stove - It was decided that chimneys would not be feasible on this wing, even though stoves were known to have been installed in 1770. It was entirely possible that flues for these Dutch stoves were built within the thickness of the outer walls without projection into the room. Since stove heating was not considered necessary, the wall flues were omitted
23Crest COAT OF ARMS ON NORTH GABLE OF PALACE SEPT 3 1941 Garter Background and Petals of Thistle #411 Flower Sprays and Antiquing Glaze Color #410 Upper Right and Lower Left Quarters Background #408 Cloth in Crown, Upper Left and Lower Right Quarters Background, Motto Background, Mouths of Lion and Unicorn, Red Jewels in Crowns #409. Unicorn, Small Horse in Lower Right Quarter, Aluminum Leaf. Rose opposite Thistle, The outer petals have a background of Perfection Red, Pale, which is touched over in shadows with sample #409. The center petals are in aluminum Leaf, while the Center is Gold Leaf. Thistle leaves and Stem, Green; Jewels in Crowns, Chrome Green, L with Varnish. Bulb of Thistle, Burnt Sienna with Varnish - Note: Gold leaf was put on the entire Coat of Arms all colors being applied over it
24Gardens at Governor's Palace Spottwood continued to improve on the palace until ca. 1720–1722, adding the forecourt, gardens, and various decorations
25Gardens at Governor's Palace
26 Art Gallery Contruction Zone
27Tree Pollarded Platanus, some variety of Sycamore or Plane trees.
28Rush Hour on Gloucester St
29 Compton Oak - Circumference: 190 in. Height: 61 ft. Crown: 119 ft.
30 Watching the going on on green behind the court house
31 Fifers and drummers wear the same coat as other units do, but with one critical difference: the colors worn by the musicians are the reverse of their fighting brothers’, indicating their non-combat status. This coat’s pattern is based on an antique enlisted man’s coat in the National Army Museum.
32 The Revolutionary-era fife was an instrument designed to be heard over miles and through the din of battle. Most were made of boxwood or another hard wood, but some metal examples have been recovered.
33 The field music fifer uses this strap to carry a fife; a fighting unit would have slung a cartridge box from it.
35 A single breasted sleeveless waistcoat would have been made of linen broadcloth and fastened with 12 buttons. Waistcoat and breeches are known as small clothes. Coat tails are turned back to allow freedom of movement. The heart decoration is based on a British example, and also serves to reinforce the hook and eye closure. http://www.history.org/history/fifeanddrum/redregimentals.cfm
37Tree Paper Mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera. It earned its name of “Paper” Mulberry because its inner bark has been used for making paper for centuries in Asia. A sort of cloth can even be made from the bark. The leaves are edible if cooked, and there are traditional medicinal uses for parts of the tree.
38Capitol Building The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities deeded the grounds to Colonial Williamsburg in 1928, and Colonial Williamsburg reconstructed the Capitol of 1705 – 1747. The architecture was more interesting than that of the second Capitol, and it was better documented.
39Horses from Bassett House Horses from Bassett House