Harper's Ferry P1110071  Red-Tailed Hawk P1110074  Red-Tailed Hawk P4280018  House On Fillmore Street
P4280014  Eagle Snow/Ice Guards P4280016  Ice/Snow guards P1110076  House On Fillmore Street P1110077  House On Fillmore Street
P1110078  Fillmore Street entry to Harper Cemetary P1110080  In 1782  Robert Harper, the founder of Harpers Ferry, set aside four acres of the hillside for a cemetery where Harper, his family and many others are now buried. P1110079 P4280020  Since the time of John Harper the view from Harper Cemetery remains one of the most stupendous in nature and burial sites are still available.
P1110082  On October 25, 1783, Thomas Jefferson visited Harpers Ferry, viewing "the passage of the Patowmac though the Blue Ridge" from a rock that now bears his name. In 1785, Jefferson's description of this view was published in the Notes on the State of Virginia P1110083  View from Jefferson's Rock P1110085  Part of the Appalachian Trail decending from the cemetary to into the main part of town P1110086  St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
P1110087  Ruins of St. John's Episcopal Church -  was damaged by the Civil War where It served as a hospital and barracks while the war was going on.It was rebuilt after the war, but was later abandoned in 1895 when a new Episcopal church was built. P1110088  View of Harper's Ferry rail tunnel P1110089  The Harper House was used as a tavern for about 20 years after the death of Mr. Harper. It is very possible that Meriwether Lewis stayed here in 1803 when he obtained supplies for the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are known to have stayed in the Harper House. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Noah Swayne definitely stayed here, since he owned the house — he married Sarah Ann Wager, one of Robert Harper's heirs. P1110090
P1110092  View down High Street P1110093  The White Hall Tavern, which was located directly across from the Armory, was good for drinking, debating politics, and trash-talking about your boss — but bad for working. Somewhat understandably, for a while the Armory shut down the White Hall Tavern, saying that it "ruined morals and work ethics, and threatened armory production." Lewis Clark Sign P1110094  View of Potomac Street - Monument on the left is the original site of John Brown's Fort - since moved down the street - seen just to the right.
P1110096  Harpers Ferry Rail Tunnel P1110097  The faded painting on the face of Maryland Heights was an early 1900s advertisement aimed at passengers on the B&O Railroad, which was a heavily traveled rail line. It read Mennen’s Borated Talcum Toilet Powder. P1110099  The Ledge House B&B sits atop the historic town of Harpers Ferry overlooking the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers as well as the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. P1110101  View down the tracks through the tunnel looking toward the east.