St James Basilica

The Cathedral Basilica of St. James the Apostle in Szczecin was built by the citizens of the city and modeled after the Church of St. Mary in Lübeck. It is the largest church in Pomerania and for many years after the reformation was part of the Pomeranian Evangelical Church, but since World War II and the handing over of Stettin (name of the city in German language) from Germany to Poland it has been rebuilt as a Roman Catholic cathedral. Completely destroyed in WWII.
St James Basilica St James Basilica St James Basilica The main cathedral
The main cathedral Gothic crucifix from Usedom  A late Gothic crucifix from Usedom was erected on the altar in the form of a Tree of Life , with visible buds and four medallions containing the symbols of the individual Evangelists . triptych  On the east side of the chancel, on the two pillars, the altar was suspended - a triptych. It is a compilation of several destroyed altars. In the reconstructed 1981 closet there are 18 bas reliefs from about XV . The most valuable of them is the figure of the Virgin Mary with Child made in the type of "Beautiful Madonna" - originating from Mieszkowice . Next to them are the churches in Chojna , the likenesses of the six holy women and two bishops: St. Otto and St. Adalbert. Zukowa comes from sculptures of nine apostles in predella . Three figures were made today. St. Jakub (1693)
Academic Chapel  The chapel is occupied by a confessional . The chapel is composed of four paintings depicting the Fathers of the Church : Hieronymus , St. Augustine , St. Gregory and St. Ambrose . The paintings reproduced by Malgorzata Wodejszo are copies of the Altar of the Fathers of the Church - the work of Michael Pacher, made in 1463 for the monastery in Neustift near Brixen John Paul II - Organ Name  The organs have 66 voices and consist of 4743 pipes (from 11 millimeters to 10 meters high), including 183 Spanish trumpet resonators. The whole instrument with a height of 10 m weighs 36 tons. The game console is equipped with four handheld keyboards and a footswitch. The organs have a mechanical trestle and four blowers delivering 80 m 3 of air per minute. John Paul II - Organ Name  The most difficult problem in designing a solid body of the instrument was its design so that the 30m 2 stained glass window behind the Transfiguration stage was not covered. The main designer of the organ was Dariusz Zych. In March 2008 the assembly of organs in the cathedral was started. After completing the assembly work, the tuning process (organ intonation) took place for two months. The dedication of the organ and the name of John Paul II took place on June 15, 2008. Organ Pipes along the side
Baptismal Chapel  The altar ( triptych ) was made in the 1920s in the workshop of Claus Berg in Lübeck . In the center of the composition is Our Lady with Baby. There are two angels holding the crown. Mary stands for the sorrow of the moon, symbolizing the victory over the forces of evil and Satan. Next to St. Magdalena and the unidentified saint . On the wings of the triptych there are sculptures of 8 saints , and below (in predella ) contemporary representations of the four evangelists . Below the altar is a reliquary mounted with relics of St. Otto , donated in 1974 by Bishop Bamberg . In the chapel there is also an antique, 17th-century baptismal font from Dobropola - a work by artists Christophe Schmidt - carpenter and painter Joachim Sellin. The font was made in Wolin . The chapel from the nave separates the decorative, baroque wooden partition from the church in Stolc. Chapel of the Sea  On the wall of the chapel three oil paintings by Ryszard Kiełtyki are made, creating a triptych called "Stella Maris" (Star of the Sea). Next to the sea and navy objects: steering wheel, compass, navigation lights, ship bell. Witraż 1992 - the work of Michał Kośmickiego - presents, among others. scenes from the life of the sea people. Chapel of the Sea Chapel of the Pomeranian Dukes  The mortuary remains of the Pomeranian princes have been preserved in the contemporary stone tomb . These remains were previously in sarcophagi , in the crypt of the Pomeranian Dukes' Castle in Szczecin . During the Second World War the crypt was collapsed and the sarcophagi was damaged. After the war, the sarcophagus was preserved and can now be seen at the museum of the Pomeranian Dukes' Castle . On the tomb there is an epitaph of about 1600. On either side of the tomb we can admire two wooden sculptures from the seventeenth century and consoles with skull motifs. These items come from the former equipment of the Cathedral. In the window of the chapel Irena Kisielewska stained glass was installed, depicting the nine-seat, Gryfitów's beautiful coat of arms .
Chapel of the Pomeranian Dukes Railroad Chapel  At the center of the contemporary altar, designed by Aleksander Sęk and Edward Rogalski, the sculpture of St. Catherine - patron saint of railway workers. On the side wings were the scenes of her martyrdom. Stained glass, designed by Sebastian Ratajczak, and made in 1998 by Michał Kośmicki, presents Saint. Catherine surrounded by saints: Krzysztof , Mikołaj , Stanisław Kostka and Rafał Kalinowski . St. Adalbert's Chapel  The chapel is located on the axis of the cathedral. The wardrobe of the triptych contains a sixteenth-century figure of Our Lady of Apocalyptic (Maria stands on the sorrow of the moon, symbolizing the victory over the forces of evil and Satan) from the Mariacki Church in Chojna . Next - St. Wojciech (paddle attribute). At the altar there is a reliquary with relics of St. Wojciech; and above the altar - a sculpture depicting Michael the Archangel from the 17th century, which once crowned the canopy of the cathedral pulpit (pulpit has not survived). In the floor of the chapel there is an entrance to the burial crypt of the Szczecin bishops. Over the chapel - huge (80 square meters area) stained glass founded on the occasion of the pilgrimage of Pope John Paul II to Szczecin. Chapel of the Shoemakers  The chapel was originally a burial site for members of the guild of shoemakers. The only chapel in the Cathedral of Szczecin has retained the original Baroque décor of 1779. Today, human remains are found in the reconstruction of the cathedral in the years 1971-72 and 2005-06. Part of the bone was deposited in the tin sarcophagus of the Pomeranian von Wedel family from Krępcewo
Chapel of the Shoemakers P1100984 Chapel of Our Lady of Ostrobramska  In the window of the chapel - Irena Kisielewska's stained glass "Mater Misericordia" (1987) with the image of the image, the Gate of Dawn and the church of Sts. Anna in Vilnius.